Sunday, March 29, 2009

Trade or Sell?

I make ATC's, which stands for "Artist Trading Cards".

They are miniature works of art created on 2 ½ x 3 ½ inch card stock. They are originals, small editions and, most importantly, self-produced. The concept of ATC is the person-to-person trade, as well as trading by mail.
The basic idea is the card-for-card trade between artists and not to sell the card to another artist.

On the other hand are the ACEO's, which stands for "Art Cards, Editions and Originals". These are for sale.
The reason for this is, of course, that ATC's are made to be traded!
But while artists were happily trading cards, the general public was left out in the cold, having no Art Cards to trade. A group of artists realized this, and quickly made their cards available for sale at remarkably low prices so that everyone could join in the fun! They became highly appreciated collectables.

So every time I create an ATC, I ask my self the question: do I want to trade or sell...? The latter turns an ATC into an ACEO... Don't forget the concept of the one is the opposite of the concept of the other...
This could turn into a dilemma!
But you know what... I have so much fun in creating the ATC's.... I think that is more important and not what label I or anybody else want to stick to it....



No comments: